Farmingville Historical Society
The Farmingville Historical Society was formed in 1992 to preserve and restore the Bald Hills Schoolhouse, given to Suffolk County Parks by the Reunion Committee. Dorothy Czenszak launched the Farmingville Historical Society.
Farmingville Historical Society Board & Trustees:
- President: BJ Intini
- Treasurer: Frank Sardone
- Trustees: Ken Terry, Al Breud
- Program Coordinators: Pam Salamone, Jennifer Ross
Farmingville Historical Society Milestones
- Saved the ElijahTerry House from demolition and had it moved to the Bald Hills Schoolhouse Site with the help of Rose Caracappa.
- Spearheaded the movement to save the 102 acre Farmingville Hills Park from developers.
- Sought support from Legislators Joseph Caracappa and Brian Foley to purchase the 3-acre Bussing property; (now the parking and picnic areas of the Park).
- Sought the support of Leg. Beedenbender and the Suffolk County Department of Parks to open the Farmingville Hills Park in 2009.
- Hosted the first Community Day for Farmingville in August 2010.
- Hosted the first organized activities in the Farmingville Hills Park, July-August 2010.
- Opened the Bald Hills Schoolhouse to students for the first time since 1929.
- Furnished the Schoolhouse with period pieces.
Bald Hills Schoolhouse Progress made by Suffolk Conty Parks Department, Historic Services and the Farmingville
- replaced all the windows
- installed a window at the rear of the building that was covered over when chemical toilets were installed
- re-supported the foundation
- removed the asphalt roof and installed the new wood roof
- heating/air conditioning system
- alarm system
- repairs to the wainscotting from fire damage
- exterior painting
- new fence
- replaced walls that were damaged in the fire
- scrapped the wainscotting in preparation for paint
Farmingville Historical Society Goals
- Open the Schoolhouse for field trips for students studying local history.
- Open the Schoolhouse and the Terry House to the public.
- Mark hiking and walking trails throughout the Park.
- Build a handicap accessible entrance to the Terry House and Schoolhouse.
For more information on the Farmingville Historical Society, please email BJ Intini at firstname.lastname@example.org.